I feel like I’m on a blanket marathon at the moment! With three on the go and another in the pipeline I’m becoming a bit blanket obsessed! I’ve set myself a little goal: finish the three in progress and then work on something different for a little while! I might even get into my sewing room in the next few weeks and get some use out of my beloved old Singer! So watch this space, there will likely be a few posts about sewing in the near future! I won’t be abandoning the crochet altogether though! I love it too much. Just for a little while, to let the sewing and maybe the knitting get a look in!
For now though, I’ve been merrily crocheting my Colour Block Blanket for some weeks and it is reaching completion! Hurray! Here it is……
I need to sew in the ends – my pledge to do this as I went along was very short lived unfortunately! At least there aren’t very many with this blanket as each coloured square is one whole skein. I was aiming to keep it simple with this one and just have some lovely big squares of colour surrounded by the cream, to keep the colours separate and really let them shine. It also needs more of a border but I’m in a bit of a dilema about this. I don’t have enough cream left to continue the border in the same yarn. It is now discontinued! Typical for me. So I have two options: one is to find more cream chunky yarn that is as close to the one I’ve been using as I can get, the other is to go with a completely diferent colour. I’m also trying to decide whether to keep the border simple and continue a few more rounds of trebles, or to do a decorative chunky lace like thing to drape over the side of the bed. I’ll think on it a bit!
Anyway, here’s a few more pics…….
As you can see, I joined the blocks in strips, doing three continuous seams one way, then three more horizontally….you can see me ‘crossing the road’ to start the join on the next pair here! That probably only makes sense to me!!
Here’s a few close ups of the seams…..I think I kind of made up the join – it’s a slip stitch going through the full stitch on both sides, but one side at a time, instead of going through both stitches (of both squares being joined) together. Again, I think this probably only makes any sense to me and that’s only because I was there when I did it!
The seam lies flat one side and ridged on the other, so it’s a personal choice whether to have the flat or the ridge showing on the top side of the blanket. I like the ridge, it’s attractive to look at and could be decorative, but I chose to keep the top side on the blanket simple and kept the seam flat. It was a tough decision though – it could have gone either way!
A couple of close ups……..
Here’s a last pic for now, whilst I ponder on the border………
Little E’s sunshine blanket is also nearing completion, thanks to the Blanket Along I’m taking part in over on Ravelry! The Blanket Along was initiated by Sandra at Cherry Heart (as mentioned in my last blog – this is a link to her blog home page). It’s one of my favourite blogs, with tons of lovely pictures of her beautiful crochet (and sewing) and some great tutorials on there too. I joined in with a couple of my wips, to get a bit of encouragement and see what others were making – it’s like being at a massive knit and knatter! It’s great!
Here’s my progress so far……..
Just a couple more rows of joining, lots and lots of ends to weave in and then the border and it will be finished! I’ve gone for random placement of squares, which I think I need to improve at a little because I can sopt a few patterns emerging. Sounds silly to say, but I think I need to put more time and planning into random placement if I choose it again in the future! I like how it’s shaping up though, I like how some of the circles look bigger than others because of the colour on the outer round – the darker circles look bigger as the colours stand out more. This wasn’t planned and if I’d known it was going to happen I might have re-thought the whole thing, but you learn as you go and I sometimes like what I find! I’m certainly learning a lot about colour through my crocheting!
Here’s and update on the other wip I’m working on…….using the cluster cross granny square……….
I did have a darker blue in there too, but I’ve replaced it with the pale blue in these pictures. The pale blue is there to stay, the darker blue may be included again – I’ll do a few more squares and play around with the arrangement and then decide! One thing is for sure – there is definately a pattern emerging the more blankets I make – I’m not great at planning! I’m good at the enthusiasm and the ideas, but I have yet to fully plan a blanket project before diving in! Something else to work on there I think!
I’ll end on something a little different…….I finally managed to make a curtain! I posted a picture of this lovely fabric a while back and am now pleased to report I have actually done something with it! Here’s a quick look……..
It’s made a massive difference to the kitchen – it’s much warmer at night now and feels a lot cosier too. I have to confess – it is not yet hemmed, but pinned into place, and has been for weeks! I actually have four pairs of home-made curtains currently boasting this state. The shame of it! I will get around to the hemming. I have worked out that if I blog about doing something, I seem to actually do it! So I declare, here on this blog, that the curtains will be hemmed!
……..when I make the next pair out of this lovely cloth……..
They shall be too :)